About Me, a Brief Introduction


I am a new contributor to The Association of Catholic Women blog.  Jackie asked that I introduce myself. It might be better if someone who knows me well did the honors.  I can’t be very objective, but I’ll try. 

My name is Ruth Ann (Keller) Pilney.  I am a native of Chicago, Illinois, where I was born and raised.  My heart lives in Chicago!  Currently I live in California with my husband Jim, who retired two weeks ago, from his work in manufacturing of pharmaceuticals.  The two of us will have been married 33 years in June.  Our daughter, Catherine is married to Andrés (Andy).

In 2008 I retired.  Now I enjoy the freedom that retirement brings.  Among other things, it gives me time to write, read and study.  Writing is something I like to do, and I do it often.  However I don’t write professionally, and never have.  Instead, I write letters, emails, and journals---and essays for my blog.  In school I did scholarly writing, and I liked that.  I ventured into blogging about six months after retiring. 

I have never been an avid reader generally, but I have always been attracted to books and other types of writing that give me a glimpse into understanding and loving God and His friends.  So, that's the sort of reading I do.  

When I was a child one of my school teachers said, "Learning never stops."  I didn't like hearing that, because I associated learning with schooling.  Eventually, I developed a love for studying when I was a sophomore in high school.  My teachers, the Dominican Sisters, encouraged study as a search for truth.  I appreciate their influence and example.  Currently I devote a lot of time to my study of Spanish.

There are many funny, inspiring, and intellectually stimulating blogs. I do my blog for personal enjoyment and the fun of expressing myself.  My posts reflect my Catholic worldview.

I love the Catholic faith.  Since my baptism at age three weeks I have been Catholic.  I grew up in a Catholic culture.  I didn’t go through any periods of rebellion against the Faith or against the Church.  This is not to say I didn’t have questions.  There has always been someone in my life whom I could trust to explain what I needed to know.  I have strong friendships with fellow believers.

Through daily prayer, spiritual reading, participation in daily Eucharist, and frequenting the other sacraments (especially Penance), I practice the Faith and deepen my relationship with God. Also, I am a professed Lay Carmelite and am zealous for the Carmelite traditions of prayer, community, and service. 

With my blog I share my interests and worldview with others.  I have another blog where I keep memories in the form of little anecdotes.  There is a link to it on the side bar, if you are interested.

When I visit other blogs I enjoy reading the comments.  Sometimes I contribute comments of my own.  So, I welcome your comments about my posted writings.  I'd love to hear from you and about you!

Comments

  1. I don't mind giving comments. ;) Nice to meet you Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to ACWB, Ruth. Nice to meet you.

    God bless the Carmelites and their prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth! I'm new to the Association of Catholic Women Bloggers as a site and almost totally new to blogging! You sound lovely! I'm very interested in the secular Carmelites at the moment and will welcome anything you post about the order. Someone I know is thinking of setting up her own branch of lay Carmelites, so I may well be in touch with you about it.
    God bless,
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manny, Jackie, Tess, and Gigi, thank you for your warm welcomes. I'll keep in mind that you would like to know more about lay Carmelites, Gigi. Periodically I post something about a Carmelite saint or Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Maybe I should do more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to meet you Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome! It's great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective