True Beauty and the Cross

It seems as if everyone nowadays is so obsessed with appearance.  Many are trapped in the world that tells them that unless they wear their makeup the "right" way, they'll never be good enough.  Our society tells us that unless we look a certain way, and dress a certain style, and carry ourselves the "popular" way, we'll never be accepted and we'll never be cherished.

I beg to differ.  I'm a teenage girl ~ I know what's out there, waiting to starve our true spirits and transform us into jealous creatures who are intent on fighting what is a losing battle.

For "Dove Evolution" video

(This video shows just how much our society has negatively warped the perception of beauty.  In 1.25 minutes, we're shown that an average-looking woman is "airbrushed" into being model-perfect.  It's scary, actually.)

It seems like when culture tried to conform us all into the mold of the "perfect person", it threw out most of the originality, the spark... the very essence of being alive, of being an beautiful, unique soul that cannot be replaced.  Ever.

Just a few nights ago, I rewatched Frank Capra's It Happened One Night.  The part where Ellie asks Peter if he's given up on finding his ideal girl really struck me this time.  He says,

"Aw, where you gonna find her? Somebody that's real. Somebody that's alive. They don't come that way anymore.  I saw an island in the Pacific once. I've never been able to forget it. That's where I'd like to take her. She'd have to be the sort of a girl who'd jump in the surf with me and love it as much as I did. Nights when you and the moon and the water all become one. You feel you're part of something big and marvelous. That's the only place to live. The stars are so close over your head you feel you could reach up and stir them around. Certainly, I've been thinking about it."

Notice there are no descriptions of physical beauty.  Nothing like, "I need her to be five feet and seven inches tall.  Straight blonde hair.  Green eyes."  Really, personality counts.  

Read the rest here.

Comments

  1. This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing it with all of us here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so are you sure you are only 16??? Actually you are just like MY daughters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! :)

    I'm sure I'm only sixteen :) How old are your daughters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my kids were just like you at 16 because I could not tolerate false, wordly images, commercials or other propaganda that deludes girls..now my kids are 18-33 with the youngest starting university last week at the best journalism program in Canada!

      Delete
  4. That's so beautiful. What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Peregrin! Your writing is so brilliant and beautiful! I love your blog and will visit again. You have such insight and wisdom. May we all stir the stars so close overhead, within our hearts. Good to meet you...God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! :) I'm so glad you enjoy it. It's great to meet you also, I'll have to check out your blog. :)

    God bless,
    Peregrin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective